Thursday 28 June 2012

Somewhere To Bitch

I have just turned 56, and I have had no paid work since September 2008. Things are less than wonderful and I am increasing hacked-off about being permanently skint.

I have a degree. I qualified as a Chartered Accountant with one of the Big Firms at their London offices, all first time exam passes, in 1983.

I've been through recessions before, but this one is different in that I'm the wrong side of some invisible age-related force-field which seemingly makes me unemployable. Of course, this is impossible, it's against the law to discriminate against prospective employees based on their age. Right!

But you don't have to put your date of birth on a CV or a Job Application Form....maybe not, but oddly enough you do get asked for your employment history, complete with dates, and even your education and qualifications, complete with dates, and that kind of gives the clue as to what sort of age you might be.

Anyway, in between the pointless dancing around the Alice-in-Wonderland "support system" and sending e-mails to agencies which rarely get the courtesy of any response these days, I find I have a few minutes here and there to spare, so I have decided to vent my spleen with a blog.

It'll probably be sporadic. Mostly I suspect it'll be wearing less-than-rose-tinted spectacles. But it will make a change from complaining to the poor front-line staff at the DWP.

The Has-bean Counter

No comments:

Post a Comment